The first thing I mentioned was the walk I took yesterday.
I made an hourly-planner the other day, it just says things like "7:00 alarm goes off, 7:30 shower...", it doesn't plan my every move, but has the things I should be doing every day. I made another sheet with little habits to do or to avoid, like "cut sugar, no eating after 7pm, spend 20mins outside daily" and with that in mind, I went out walking for about an hour yesterday evening.
There's a main road and bus-stop by my window, so I can't tell you how lovely it was to go to the recreational park down the road, and walk by the canal. I was a couple of minutes from that road the whole time, but I could have been in the country for all the difference it made! I saw squirrels chilling by trees, people playing with their dogs, canal-boats smoking and one person played 'Girls Just Wanna Have Fun' from theirs as they worked (as you do, right).
Now, it's not as though I never walk by that canal, or see squirrels, but having gone out with the aim of walking and doing nothing else was one of the most liberating things I've ever done! Dedicating an activity to not getting anything done made me feel like I had a lot of free time rather than always having deadlines to work towards, and although I wasn't trying to accomplish anything, I could feel the wheels turning in my mind (see: Gaston), and somehow felt more productive than being at my desk. It was also great to turn off into a road I'd never gone down before and have to work my way back, it was new, and turned off the 'autopilot' function that my legs use to get to shops and lectures.
We were designed to think best whilst walking, and this one mini-adventure has shown me that I want to be out more, and that 'out' is not just that place between my front-door and wherever I'm trying to be.
For more on the awesome and terrifying power of walking, see Pursuit Predation (scary stuff).
And that's you up to speed! I wrote this up and will get back to arranging music for a while, and look over other blogs and stuff in the meanwhile for more ideas and motivation.
No comments:
Post a Comment