This blog tracks my change from an unproductive student into a...more productive student? I'm hoping to kick myself into gear for life and become a motivated individual who knows what he's doing and when, and what he wants to do and how.
I'll be looking at related blogs and content and posting my experience with their systems and methods.

Saturday, 27 September 2014

Bringing you up to speed

I've been sticking to my new sleeping-pattern for about two weeks now, and I think it's time to review the changes I've noticed.

Normally, I get up after 11am, brush my teeth and shower, and set up camp at my desk with tea and biscuits (I ate lots of biscuits to keep me going until my single meal in the evening). I've been learning Spanish recently, so I would spend some time on Memrise learning new words every day, and I Skype a Spanish guy a couple of times a week. I spent the rest of each day making tea and killing time, feeling bored but unwilling to admit defeat and do research for my dissertation - or anything productive - but still not wanting to go to bed until I was too tired to carry-on with whatever I wasn't doing.

Now, my alarm clock gets me awake by 7.30am, and out of bed by 8, I shower and brush my teeth, then set up camp at my desk, this time without biscuits or sugar in my black tea (got to watch-out for my teeth) and toast with butter and marmalade. I spend less time learning new Spanish words, but still go over the ones I know, and I'm looking more into grammar at the mo'.
Since term has started finally, things are kicking into gear and I've spent the last few days arranging music for the Student Orchestra I'm conducting this year, it's very time-consuming but I'm powering through. I've also finally started putting thoughts into words about my dissertation and have written down a plan of action to take to my project supervisor next week.
The day is generally more productive, and I get ready for bed around 10pm, then read for twenty minutes and go to bed, feeling good in knowing I'll be up early in the morning.

My day is already looking a lot healthier as I've cut out a lot of time-wasting activity (see: Youtube, Steam), and I'm more motivated to make changes in my routine, which felt like a hassle before. I'm having less sugar than before, and will start brushing my teeth after toast. I feel ready to just sit down and do some work, but need to be going by a deadline, with dedicated time for breaks to stop me switching tabs and getting distracted. I also need to stop bringing my laptop to bed after reading, very naughty!


No comments:

Post a Comment