This blog tracks my change from an unproductive student into a...more productive student? I'm hoping to kick myself into gear for life and become a motivated individual who knows what he's doing and when, and what he wants to do and how.
I'll be looking at related blogs and content and posting my experience with their systems and methods.

Saturday, 27 September 2014

First Steps in Motivation and Willpower

I got back from a walk yesterday, and made the decision whilst out that I should start a blog to track my thoughts and be able to look back in the future.

The purpose of this blog will be to track my journey into transforming myself into a motivated and productive person, in a battle against myself.

I'm 21 right now, but feel unenthusiastic about getting my hands dirty, in any sense, and find myself spending a lot of time in my room in the house I rent with some students I know, trying to pass the time in a very passive way unless I'm out with people at the pub or just chilling with them.
So I'm young, I have my whole life ahead of me, and despite being in my final year of education, I have a lot of free time, so I wonder 'why aren't I doing more?'.

Once every few weeks I have to get up before seven for...a thing (see: Paid Medical Trials) and usually get back before everyone else has woken up. Usually I also do a food shop on the way back, and it's a strange feeling having been up and active for a few hours when everyone you know hasn't stirred yet. But it's a really good feeling. I felt like doing things. The kind of things that you could do and then feel justified in sitting around all day, like going for a run, or in my case, going somewhere to practise my singing and piano playing.

So, about two weeks ago I tried going to bed three hours earlier than usual (from around 1:30am to 10:30pm) so I could be up at 7:30 am (not the usual post 11am (come on, I'm a student! Ahem.)).
I couldn't sleep for a couple of hours on the first night, but still struggled out of bed in the morning, and adjusted almost immediately to this shift, so I now make it to bed on time most nights (got to allow for a pub night or two).

More to follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment